Saturday 14 February 2015

Happy Valentine's Day!

I think that today's card is very V-Day appropriate!

This card features a technique/design that I have wanted to try for a while using watercolours and die cuts - with the die cut "floating" over the watercolours. Here it is:




I started out by die cutting the Memory Box hearts from a piece of scrap paper to use as a guide for the watercolouring. I started with a piece of Tim Holtz watercolour paper (smooth side) and laid the guide over it. I took some clean water and roughly painted the area inside and around the big heart. After waiting a few minutes, I took my brush and dipped it lightly into some Picked Raspberry re-inker ink and I dabbed it around the water painted heart. Because I wanted the colours not to blend too much, I waited for the pink heart to dry completely before repeating the process with the purple (Seedless Preserves) and blue (Salty Ocean) heart.

I die cut the hearts three times from white cardstock and adhered them together. I did this because I wanted the die cut to "float" so it needed so stiffness. When the panel was dry, I used some clear foam tape to adhere the die cut to the panel, and I stamped a Penny Black greeting. I adhered the panel to a black card. I absolutely love the way the card came out and cant wait to do this technique again! Here is a photo from the side where I tried to capture the "floating":




I will link this card to a few challenges:

The AAA challenge - this is really where I got the inspiration for the design.

CAS-Ology where the cue card is LOVE

House of Cards where the theme this month is LOVE

Thanks for stopping by!
Jill








12 comments:

  1. You rocked this technique Jill, and fab use of colours x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill, would you please email me (direct not through comments), there's a fun question I would like to ask you.
    Hugs, Victoria AAA Cards (victorialavender@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really nicely done. I like the technique you used! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, this is AWESOME! LOVE the gorgeous bold colors and I adore the clean feel of the design! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both of the cards you entered at AAA Cards this week. Beautiful vibrant colours! Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card Jill, love the layout and colour combo.
    Thanks for joining us at House of Cards.
    Lorry :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very effective technique! I really like the relaxed feel created by the watercolour sitting beyond the borders of the die. Thanks so much for joining us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jill
    Wonderful card. Love the floating heart concept.
    Thanks for joining in at House of Cards.
    Best wishes.
    Ang.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card and great technique, so glad you shared with us at House of Cards! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a wonderful technique! Thanks for explaining it so well...I'll be pinning this to try for myself later. Love it! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the watercolor, I am into that right at the moment too!!! LOVE the colors you chose!! Thanks for joining CASology, wondrfully done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this technique, you've made a stunning card with it too! Thank you for joining us at HOC.

    ReplyDelete